New York prosecutors open investigation into George Santos

Long Island prosecutors launched an investigation into U.S. Rep. George Santos of New York after the apocalypse surfaced.

But despite growing doubts about his suitability for federal office, Santos has so far shown no signs of abdicating — even though he has publicly acknowledged a long list of fabricated facts.

“The numerous fabrications and inconsistencies associated with Congressman-Elect Santos are nothing short of stunning,” said Nassau County District Attorney Anne T. Donnelly, a Republican.

“Residents of Nassau County and the rest of the Third District must have an honest and accountable representative in Congress,” she said. “No one is above the law and if a crime occurs in this county, we will prosecute it.”

Santos’ campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Wednesday.

He was due to be sworn in next Tuesday, when the U.S. House of Representatives is due to reconvene. If he takes office, he could face investigations by the House Ethics Committee and the Justice Department.

The New York attorney general’s office has said it is investigating some of the issues that have come to light.

The Republican admitted to lying about his Jewish ancestry, Wall Street ancestry and college degree, but he has yet to address other lingering issues — including despite recent economic troubles, including evictions and thousands of dollars in rent arrears.

Some fellow Republicans have called on Congress and law enforcement to investigate.

Fellow Long Island Republican, Rep.-elect Nick Lalota said he was troubled by the revelations.

“I think there needs to be a full investigation by the House Ethics Committee and, if necessary, law enforcement,” Lalotta said Tuesday.

“We are investigating this matter,” Brendan Brosh, a spokesman for the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office, said Wednesday.

Other Republicans condemned Santos’ dishonesty but did not call for his ouster.

“Congressman-Elect George Santos has broken the public trust by making serious misstatements regarding his background, experience and education, among other issues,” said Joseph G. Cairo, chair of the Nassau County Republican Committee, which lies within the 3rd Congressional District

Cairo said he was “looking forward to more than a blanket apology,” adding that “his lies have deeply hurt many people, especially those affected by the Holocaust.”

The problems intensified after The New York Times examined the narrative that Santos, 34, presented to voters during his successful campaign for a congressional district that spans Long Island’s North Shore suburbs and a small portion of Queens.

Records uncovered by The Times in Brazil show that Santos was under criminal investigation in 2008 after he was accused of using stolen checks to make purchases at a clothing store in the city of Niteroi. At the time, Santos was supposed to be 19 years old. The Times quoted local prosecutors as saying the case was dormant because Santos never appeared in court.

Santos continued to deny that he was wanted by South American authorities.